Monday, September 14, 2009

Virtual Diary of a Photography Student



When I think about my photographic experiences, I find it hard to pin-point one memory.
If I had to choose one thing, I suppose something that comes to mind would be this;

I have a framed 4x6 photo of my dad, that I took all by myself when I was about 3 or 4 years old, on holiday in Florida, and I have had it on display in my bedroom ever since.
I find it hard to believe that I took the photo at such a young age, but I'm always so proud to tell people, "Yep, I took that when I was a toddler and its been framed like that ever since...".
I think that photo will be with me for life.
When I look at it, I think how strange it is that way back then I had no idea I would become the photographer that I am today.
Its the first thing I remember about taking photos, and amongst everything that you do when you're that age, and yet you hardly remember any of it, it proves how much a single photo can remind you of a single moment so vividly.


So now I'm at school studying photography there are a few things I'm hoping to achieve;
  • to be able to use my camera without thinking; to make it an extension of my arm and produce technically great images.
  • to expand my creative mind and to portray this creativity through my images.
  • to learn how to succeed in being a great business person in the photographic industry.
  • to generally become comfortable and confident as a photographer.
  • to be able to call myself a 'professional'!

My favourite genre of photography is portraiture! I love images of people, especially those that are taken in an interesting environment. Fashion photography in particular is something that interests me highly.
I love the way in which fashion images can portray a story or a theme, whilst creatively promoting a garment. I would love to create amazing fashion images.


Katy
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katy, thanks for sharing it made me stop and think about what I am doing here as well. I think the way you summed up what you are hoping to learn here is the way I am feeling as well and couldn't find the words to cheers to you for that. I am looking forward to seeing more photos in the future.
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzanne!
    Can't wait to get cracking and to see everyone else's work too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katy! I have exactly the same goals as you. Thanks for always answering my questions. You're a great photographer so I hope to learn a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha Love the sign! Stop or don't! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you candice!
    Im sure we are all going to learn alot of cool things from each other!
    Roll on this year! woop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy! Great blog. Fashion photography would be really neat. I love how both of our stories relate back to our dads, and our spark for photography being when we were kids. Can't wait for this year!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete