Sunday, September 27, 2009

Working the Subject... 100 Creative Ways!



Assignment number 3 from Creative Imaging... and probably the most challenging one yet... why thank you Sarah!! lol

Being told to choose 3 objects a week in advance of our assignment, it was pretty obvious we were going to have to take pictures of them. What we didn't know until Friday was that we had to shoot 100 (YES ONE HUNDRED!) photos of the damn things! AND we had just 4 and a half hours to get it done in! (3 and a half if you take away the half hour it took me to get home from school to where my objects were situated and the half hour to make and eat some lunch to give me the energy to get through the afternoon of intense shooting!)

So my objects (as you can see in the above picture) were; my dining room chair, my parasole (new that would come in handy one day!) and my beloved acoustic guitar.
When picking 3 completely unrelated objects, it was certainly a challenge trying to make interesting photos out of them. 
What made it even more challenging was the fact that we had to shoot in one spot. We could move the objects around amongst this 'one spot' but couldn't change location altogether and had to have all 3 objects together. We couldn't do an individual shot of each object, BUT we could close in on one object with our camera so it was the only thing in the shot (thank god for zoom lenses!) So, with all these ground rules laid out, Sarah didn't make this assignment easy for us!

I kept thinking "how on earth am I going to get 100 different shots?!" I honestly was almost giving up the will to live...ok slight exaggeration! But never-the-less I was a tad stressed out! 
Luckily, once I got into the swing of things I seemed to be snapping away and I started to think "ok, this isn't so bad, I seem to be getting alot" only to look at my camera and find that I'd only shot 30 odd images! Still LOADS to do yet I was lacking creative ideas! There's only so many ways you can shoot a chair, a parasole and a guitar, right?! 

A little while later, after climbing on piano stools, lying on the floor and squatting in ways that no-ones leg muscles should have to endure, to get juuust that right height for my shot; to my surprise, I was finally getting there...50...76...94...almost done!
I was a bit worried that I was shooting the same angles and views of the objects multiple times, which stressed me a bit, but when I finally had my 100 shots and I looked back over them, it appeared to be okay...  at least I don't think I have duplicate or too similar images.
A few came out wrong, but apparently 'creative failure is the way to creative success'... or so Sarah tells us! I hope she's right! 

So anyway, it was an eventful afternoon, and even my dog was curious as to what I was up to (as one of my photos shows), and he liked to sit in my lap when I was laying on the floor trying to get my shot, but despite the curious dog getting in my way (and in my shots!) I succeeded! 
Hopefully my photos will reflect some creativity, rather than just looking like random photos! Hmm, we'll see... this creative thinking malarky is difficult! 

Until next time...
Katy 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this sounds like a really good excerise! Looking forward to seeing some of the most intresting photos that came out of this! And yer what is it with the perfect shots being at a place were you have to kill your legs to take them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah tell me about it Reiss! my thighs were aching like hell after this from the damn squatting! lol.
    we cant edit our photos yet either, which is frustrating coz I wana jazz em up a bit lol

    ReplyDelete